Friday, August 7, 2009

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina '09 Vacation

I'm back from my mini-vacation at Myrtle Beach, N.C. I. Had. A. Blast.

And...It. Was. Hot. Man, I'm telling you, there were sweat beads on top of the sweat beads. But it was really fun once you got used to the heat.

On the way, we stopped off at South of the Border. I hadn't been to South of the Border since I got married about 35 years ago. We were spending our honeymoon in Ft. Lauderdale and there were all these freaking signs for the place which made you have to see it to see what all the commotion was all about. It had really changed by leaps and was spread all over the place. Had a blast there.

We got to Myrtle Beach around 3:30. Didn't have too much trouble finding it. We stayed at the Dunes Village Resort Hotel. Really really nice. Pool and ocean off your balcony...just yards from it. You could get up and see how many people were at the beach or the pool before you planned on going down there. I wish I had taken a picture of the monster cock roach that was walking along the patio wall, though. They really need an exterminator for that, but I remember living in Ft. Lauderdale years ago (that one honeymoon did it for me; I was hooked on the place) and they were really bad. I mean these suckers were at least 2 inches long. And didn't run. The regular house roach, they'll fly practically whenever someone gets near them but this baby wasn't scared of anything.

Anyway, despite that, the hotel was beautiful. It had an indoor water park which actually was geared more toward the kids but that didn't stop us from getting in and flying down the water slide.

I think the best part of the whole experience, though, was sitting on the patio and watching the people on the beach and in the pool below. I wish I had the guts some of those kids swimming had...they were like little fish.

And the people coming into the hotel - we met one couple from Virginia - Fredericksburg - and lots of others were from Virginia, too. I didn't see anyone else from up north judging from the license plates but I'm sure they were there somewhere.

Waits at the restaurants in the area ranged from walk right in and get a seat to an hour long. We ate out the whole time we were there despite the fact we had a stove in the room. I don't cook here, I sure as hell wasn't going to cook in a hotel room, lol.

Anyway, got lots of work to catch up on. I'll be downloading pictures and talk about the trip more tomorrow, but yeah, I'd do it again and again!


  1. It sounds like you had a fun time. With the heat, I understand why you'd travel in the middle of the night but am surprised that you could check in at 3:30. We don't have cockroaches but I've heard they tend to be thick at places in the south. Looking forward to more photos.

  2. Better make sure you didn't bring any monster roaches back with you. I hear the eggs like to get on the bottom of shoes. You don't want that kind of souvenir!

    Morgan Mandel

  3. Thanks for your comment, Dick, and nice to see you over here!

  4. Sounds just wonderful! Oh. and having grown up with some monster cockies in Australia - they're nothing that a good bash with a shoe can't fix :-)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.